Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Scars of Us by Nikki Narvaez



Kaiya Marlow has always been cautious, precise in every decision she makes. When her dark past threatens to resurface, she decides to take precautions to protect herself by enrolling in self-defense classes at her gym.

Her instructor, Ryker Campbell, is the tattooed womanizer everyone warns about. Kaiya attempts to resist Ryker's advances, but the more time they spend training together, the harder it is for Kaiya to resist him.

Ryker's view on relationships is simple: strictly sex, nothing more. Haunted by demons from his past, he never allows himself to become attached to any woman. No attachment means no weakness, no vulnerability, no pain. He doesn't realize that his whole world is about to be turned upside down when Kaiya enters his self-defense class. Determined to have her, at least for one night, Ryker sets a plan into motion that will change both of their lives forever.

Will love be able to heal their scars, or are they too deep to overcome?




  5 stars 
Let me start with a brief run down of the characters. First there is Kaiya Marlow. She is a strong young lady who fights everyday to over come her tragic past but like everyone she has good days and bad days. Then there is Ryker Campbell, the sexy womanizing personal trainer, who just so happens to be the self defense teacher at the gym where Ky starts going and taking classes. Ryker also has his own issues with his past.

Now, this story was sad, funny, sexy, and actually filled with some great info. The story was great and after the first 3 or 4% I was hooked and had to keep reading to see what was going to happen next. There were parts that felt like my heart was being ripped out and then others that it was swelling and filling with love because the way Ky's brother and Ryker were treating her. Yes there were a few mistakes here and there and at times it did bug me. There were also times when they way Kaiya was acting that also annoyed me but I think the way the character was written was very real. I thought for a minute I was going to have to go hunt down Ms. Nikki Narvaez and make her write the second book faster because I was worried about a cliffhanger but there was not one. I still want that second book NOW but I will try to be patient and wait

I'm going to stop with that before I toss in a spoiler that I don't want to. Just now that it is a great book and I am looking forward to the second book to come out and will patiently stalk (in the total friendly way not the creepy way) Nikki's social media to make sure I don't miss that book.




               



So you can stalk Nikki Narvaez in the friendly way too.